Staff, faculty resources available for World Mental Health Day
By IU Today
October 07, 2022
Mental health is an issue for everyone, and we all need to prioritize taking care of ourselves both mentally and physically. Monday, Oct. 10, is World Mental Health Day, “an opportunity to re-kindle our efforts to protect and improve mental health.”
If you see a student struggling, here are some tips and resources that can help you connect:
- Start the conversation. If you’ve witnessed some of the warning signs in a student — missing class, looking tired or sad, isolating themselves — for two weeks or more, let them know what you see and that you care.
- Listen with care. Deep, engaged listening can show how much you care. Turn off your phone, make eye contact and be curious yet patient.
- Connect with help. Offer support for their journey. Indiana University’s Support for Mental Health website offers a full list of campus-specific resources for a range of needs, including emergency and crisis care, help after a sexual assault or misconduct, basic necessities, care referrals and concerned person reports.
As an IU employee, resident or student academic appointee, resources are available to help you raise mental health awareness and care for your own well-being:
- Find help 24/7. Contact SupportLinc, IU’s employee assistance program, to speak to licensed mental health professionals 24/7, by calling 888-881-LINC (5462).
- Use your IU benefits. All IU medical plans cover behavioral health services, including therapy, counseling and substance use disorder treatment. Anthem members can also speak to a licensed therapist or psychiatrist virtually through LiveHealth Online.
- Seek out support. Log in to the SupportLinc website to access text therapy, virtual support groups, self-directed cognitive behavioral therapy and more.
- Share the message. Post a World Mental Health Day flyer in your workspace.
- Improve work-life balance. Explore education and enrichment opportunities to bring harmony to your professional and personal lives.
- Take the time to relax. Discover mindfulness and relaxation practices to counteract the effects of stress.
For questions about any of the employee programs or resources listed above, contact IU Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.